Basil crusted lamb rack - Bright Green Crusted Lamb rack
Basil crusted lamb rack
Every cook or wannabe cook all have dreamed of cooking a lamb rack, not my words here Gordon Ramsey words. "It’s a chef’s dream " as he puts it.
To be frank it was also my first time cooking a lamb rack (already made lamb kebab using minced lamb though) and it turned out pretty good.
So I inspired my self from a recipe of Gordon Ramsey but changed one component of the original dish, mainly I replaced parsley for basil for the green crust. Why basil? Because my wife got into gardening recently and she got a considerable batch of basile leaves from her plants, the best products are those you get fresh and free (almost)
Here is the list of what you will need.
- Basil leaves
- Bread Crumbs
- Olive Oil
- Dijon Mustard
- And of course a Lamb rack
Check the video and/or follow the recipe
Preparing the crust mix
Blend the basil leaves, bread crumbs, pepper and salt and dash of olive oil in a mixer or food processor until you get that bright green crumb we are looking for. Please make sure not to overdo it and not to transform the mixture in to a paste, we want the crumbs to crumble…Pulse lightly until everything is crumbly yet a little sticky.
Preparing the Lamb Rack
- Score back of rack in crisscross pattern, using sharp knife.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Heat a frying pan over high heat. Add the olive oil, garlic clove, sprig of thyme and the rack of lamb. Cook each side of the lamb for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Spread some Dijon mustard with a brush the rack will absorb the flavors it, will give more taste and help the crumbs stick to the rack
- Completely Coat the rack with the green crumbs, place on an oven tray
- Put in the oven preheated to 190°C or 374°F, cook for 25mn or (preferred) until the internal temperature of the lamb at the thickest part reaches 55°C or 135°F for medium rare ( should you want your lamb rare 50°C)
- Let it rest 10mn before slicing and serving.
Now I know those chefs deserve ever penny they are charging us😂, trying to make this plate presentable for this picture took me FOREVER 🥴, While they have to give a perfect plate every single time under time pressure.
- Volan Rabary