Occitan Roasted Lamb Chump (rump)
Boneless lamb rump with heaps of Provençale fragrance. Hard to resist when served with green beans, olives and tomatoes.
List of Ingredients you will need.
- 125ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon
- 15g rosemary leaves chopped
- 15g of thyme
- 500g vine-ripened cherry tomatoes
- 500g green beans, trimmed
- 50g of black olive (pitted and chopped)
- salt and pepper
- 450g x2 lamb Chump
Steps to make it
- Score the fat with a sharp knife
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat 1 tbs oil in a large frypan over medium-high heat. Season lamb with salt and cook, skin-side (fat-side) down, for 5-7 minutes until caramelized. This will give a nice coloration to the roast, impart flavor and last but not least help render the fat, making it crispy after the roasting process.
Rub herbs over lamb, placing remainder on a baking tray. Top with lamb, skin-side up, and place tomato around lamb. Drizzle with remaining 100ml oil and season. Roast for 20-25 minutes for medium or until cooked to your liking. Rest, loosely covered with foil, for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, blanch beans in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 30 seconds, then drain and refresh in cold water. Chop beans, then transfer to a bowl with olives. Drizzle with the lemon juice and extra oil, then season and toss to combine.
- Carve the lamb and serve with beans and olives, and roasted tomatoes.
- Volan Rabary